What to Look for in the Best Fiber Supplement
Are you looking for the best fiber supplement? Do you even know what is needed in a fiber supplement or why you should consider taking one? Is fiber - also known as roughage - actually good for us? Let's get some background on fiber to help answer these questions?
Approximately two-thirds of deaths in North America are diet related. Many of these diseases are associated with diets that are low in fiber. This low fiber content in the diet impacts the metabolic system and contributes to such problems as obesity, diabetes, kidney stones, gout, constipation, Crohn's disease, diverticulitis, hemorrhoids, irritable bowel syndrome, colon cancer and cardiovascular disorders.
Most people think that a small salad every day and a piece or two of fruit will supply their fiber needs. Many people do not even get that. However, nutrition studies show that we need 25-45 grams of fiber daily for all body systems to function optimally.
Fiber is well recognized as one of the best food ingredients for maintaining regularity and preventing constipation. Fiber in the diet reduces transit time and results in a more complete evacuation of waste materials - the stuff you want to get out of your body as soon as possible. However, just preventing constipation is not the same as providing nutrients for optimal health.
More Benefits of Fiber
Fiber in the diet tends to slow the absorption of starches and sugars into the bloodstream. This results in a moderation of spikes in glucose levels in the blood and a reduction of the workload imposed on the pancreas to produce insulin.
Soluble fiber may lower cholesterol by removing bile acids (containing cholesterol) from the body. The body then pulls more cholesterol out of the blood. This lowers cholesterol. However not all water-soluble fiber does this. The fiber found in oat bran, legumes and psyllium does. Studies (Kellogg) have indicated that daily ingestion of 10 grams of psyllium may lower cholesterol levels by up to 15 percent.
Fiber, while low in calories, helps to fill the stomach and can provide a greater feeling of satiety and thus contribute to weight loss.
What Should the Best Fiber Supplement Do?
- Soften stools for easier elimination
- Flush the colon
- Provide some anti-inflammatory protection
- Stimulate the secretion of digestive juices
- Help purge the bowel of toxins and bacteria
Other possible benefits:
- Rapid loss of 5-20 lb of weight
- No more embarrassing gas
- Painful bloating is gone
- Constipation and/or diarrhea is gone
- Flatter stomach
- Skin appearance improved
- Digestion is fast, efficient
- No more eczema / dermatitis
- Acid reflux is reduced
- Hemorrhoids disappear
- Allergy symptoms are reduced
- Food cravings disappear
- Mysterious aches & pains vanish
- Sleep quality improves
- You feel energetic and focused
- Mood improves
- Hair and nail strength increases
- Body is detoxed
- Plus so much more!
The Best Fiber Supplement Should Obviously Work
You can take many vitamins and minerals and various concoctions and not even notice a difference. But with the best fiber supplement or even just a good one you will very likely see an obvious effect.
It is hard to evaluate to determine what is absolutely the best fiber supplement; there are a variety of good ones and there are bad ones. Here are some effects you don't want:
So, if you are looking for the best fiber supplement, do some research to find a product that will give you the most benefit and avoid possible problems. Here is information on one fiber supplement/colon cleanser that ranks pretty highly as you will see from the details on the ingredients. (I also highly recommend the company behind this product.)
- Harsh chemicals that may irritate or inflame your digestive system. In many cases, the product is not helping to move the bowel so much as the bowel is moving the product because it is very harmful and the body is trying to protect itself and get the stuff out. While it may seem that things are moving better you may be paying too high a health price for it.
- Be careful that the product is not causing you to become dehydrated.
- Loss of bacteria without replacement of the friendly bacteria that are so helpful with digestion
Keep up to date with
valuable insights into
pain management via
a healthy lifestyle.
Receive the monthly
Natural Pain Relief
News articles, health
tips, specials, freebies.
Enter your email and name
in the form to the right.